Middle Schools in Greater Victoria are committed to each student’s success in learning within a responsive and safe environment. Victoria middle school staff hold high expectations for student achievement while providing a program that takes into consideration the unique characteristics of the middle school child. Instructional strategies appropriate for this age group are utilized to teach the grade level learning outcomes. Middle school staff also emphasize grade transition, student, leadership and co-curricular opportunities for all students.
The following are essential attributes in our exemplary middle schools.
Interdisciplinary Team Organization:
- Students are grouped in teams to provide a source of identity and belonging essential for this age group.
- Students are assigned a teacher advisor.
- Teachers and support staff pool their expertise, resources, interests, and knowledge of students to jointly take responsibility for meeting the educational needs of a common group of our students.
- Teachers have common planning time where they collaborate, discussing student achievement, curriculum and assessment.
- Team time is organized to provide maximum flexibility for teaching and learning.
- A flexible schedule is created by teacher teams to meet the educational needs of their students.
- The Greater Victoria middle school experience includes an Advisory program where groups of students meet with a teacher in a peer setting to discuss common issues and/or concerns. This time each day allows students to form a significant relationship with a staff member while interacting with peers.
- Exploratory programs are designed to develop and expand every student’s personal interests and skills and will be offered through scheduled classes and special events.
- Exploratory programs allow students to participate in a variety of curricular experiences such as fine arts(general music, drama, dance), applied skills (tech. ed., home economics) and information technology(computer skills, data management).